Renewed effort to pain, fun with cyclocross
Entry updated Nov. 14, 2011 at 6:43 a.m.
UPDATE: I created a page on this website to show my results by year.
You never forget the pain, or fun, of cyclocross.
Despite my two-year absence from racing cyclocross, I've been able to slide back in where I left off competing in both the Mud, Sweat and Gears series as well as other local races with plans for others.
And strangely enough, it's more fun this time around.
That's no smile. I'm clearly suffering through the cyclocross course at Domtar Park in Kingsport, TN. This race was part of the 2011 Mud, Sweat and Gears series held in East Tennessee.
Credit: David I. Lehn
I did well in both series -- 4th overall for MSG and 2nd overall for Knoxicross -- having moved into the CX3 category that season. It was painful, but fun.
Then I stopped competing. And riding too, with the exception of commuting to work on my bike.
I blame the combination of living in a city I where I never found my cycling rhythm as well as my then-new homebrewing hobby. But now I'm back in familiar territory; weekends are for racing again.
But what I'm proud about the most is how well I'm riding/racing without punishing myself mentally. I'm simply going out to have fun, painful fun.
I'm also pleased with my results so far this season:
- MSG at Domtar Park (Kingsport, TN) 10/1: 6th
- MSG at Domtar Park (Kingsport, TN) 10/2: 8th
- Fallon Freakout at Fallon Park (Roanoke, VA) 10/8: 1st (A), 2nd (overall)
- MSG at Farmhouse Gallery (Unicoi, TN) 10/15: 7th
- MSG at Farmhouse Gallery (Unicoi, TN) 10/16: 6th
You can also see all of this season's results.
Here are a few other races on my calendar:
- Freakout at Fallon No.3, 10/22, Roanoke, VA
- MSG, 10/29, Bristol, VA
- NC CX, 11/6/2011, Salisbury, NC
- VA CX, 11/12, Blacksburg, VA
- VA CX, 11/13, Blacksburg, VA
- VA State Championship, 11/27, Charlottesville, VA
- NC CX, 12/4, Statesville, NC
- MSG, 12/10, Kingsport, TN
- NC State Championship, 12/18, Winston Salem, NC
- NC CX, 1/8, Fayetteville, NC
- NC CX, 1/21, Durham, NC
- NC CX, 1/22, Greensboro, NC
This is an ambitious schedule. Heck, I might add a race or two in Knoxville as well. I just hope my getting-to-be-retro Empella holds up for another season.
If you're a cyclist in the Southwest VA/Northeast TN/Western NC area, consider coming out to one of your local races to participate or cheer. And make sure to bring your cowbell. Because there is always a need for more cowbell.